The Trümmerfrauen-Denkmal  in her dress filled with color and joy in Hasenheide Park, during 48 Std. Neukölln, 2009

This monument honoring the Trümmerfrauen, by the sculptor Katharina Szelinski-Singer, was installed in Hasenheide Park in April 1955. This is one of the few monuments to the women who removed the rubble of World War II ever installed in former West Germany.

The dress was produced in public spaces over a period of 6 months: 100s of hands contributed pieces crocheted and knitted from donated remnants of yarn.


The Trümmerfrauen spent their days removing the rubble of bombed buildings and preparing the bricks for rebuilding by hammering off leftover mortar (Steineklopfen).

During the two days of the installation, visitors had the opportunity to try out Steineklopfen themselves and get a sense of what the city might have sounded like during the many years of rubble removal.


All photos: Elo Landgraf

This project would not have been possible without the help of so many individuals and institutions, including: the OpenSpace Performunion, Heike Kujus, Volksluxus, Li Koelan/Kunstraum Art Uhr, Elele Nachbarschaftszentrum, K-Salon, Gartenbauamt Neukölln, Antike Baumaterial/Reiner W. Leonhardt, Kunst-Stoffe, Kulturamt Neukölln . . . and the support of 48 Std. Neukölln